William Cuffay and Feargus O'Connor


In April 1851, the Chartist leader Feargus O'Connor published this letter in the Northern Star under the heading TO THE WORKING CLASSES. It reveals an interview with Cuffay after his sentence in 1848.
The Northern Star and National Trades' Journal Saturday, April 19, 1851; Issue 702
Now, my friends, as reflection is a good
thing, and as the man who runs headlong, and
without consideration, into any movement,
generally becomes a sacrifice to the delusion
of others, and his own folly, will you not let me
implore of you not to be led away by the folly
of others when the Exhibition takes place ?
I do not know that I ever stated to you before
the result of my interview with poor CUFFAY
after he was sentenced to transportation. In
1939, BUSSEY and others tried to create a re-
volution without my knowledge ; and in the
year 1848, when the Conference was sitting
in London, an attempt was also made to
create a revolution, of which I was to know
nothing. When CUFFAY was sentenced to
transportation I went to see him in gaol. I
said, “AH MY POOR FELLOW.” He
replied, “G–D D–––N IT, DO NOT CALL ME
YOUR POOR FELLOW, YOU WERE NOT TO
HAVE KNOWN ANYTHING THAT WE WERE
TO DO.  BUT NOW I’LL NEVER HAVE ANY
CONFIDENCE IN ANY LEADER BUT YOU, AS
THEY DECEIVED US.”

….

Your Faithful and much Abused
              Friend and Advocate,
                     FEARGUS O’CONNOR.